Monday, July 22, 2013

Seattle


It's everything they make it sound like.
From the first sight of it from our plane, I've been mesmerized.
Miles and miles of glittering lights welcomed us upon our arrival at nearly 1am, Sunday morning.
There's no way to describe it to you, except that it was beautiful.

We somehow made it to our hotel and dropped into our beds.

Almost 5 hours later I woke up.
The room was 
1. Dark
2. Chilly

And I was ready wake up. (After all, it was almost 9am back at home)

After ridding ourselves of icky airplane germs, Grandma and I made our way to breakfast. (Which was delicious)
We were then ready to venture into the heart of Seattle.
We hopped aboard the hotel transport and a few moments later were at the Light-rail, which would take us to the big city. 

Soon enough, we were there.
I'd dreamed about visiting this place for quite a while.
In fact, around this time two years ago, my intention was to move here when I turned 18.
...yeah, plans change.
But a change of plans doesn't mean a change of interest.
I am still quite captivated by this place.

The morning greeted us with a dense fog overhead.
 Only a few tourists like us,  and some super-fit-I-eat-grass-and-jog-in-the-morning locals occupied the streets at first.
But come noontime, we found ourselves among many others of all types.

At market, it's easy to tell the locals from the tourists.
The locals go in, buy their fish, veggies and maybe a donut or two, and then leave.
We tourists, watch the locals buy their fish and we take pictures of the guys who sell the salmon, because they sing and throw fish around.

We make our way down to the aquarium, where all the family tourists are at. 
Cute little kids are everywhere.
Grandma and I take our time admiring the pattern on each fish. You have to really look close or you'll miss it! 
We came to the conclusion that God must have really had a good time creating fish.

Later, we walk along Denny Way and eventually we're admiring the space needle.
Right beside the space needle is Chihuly Gardens and Glass. It's a museum with all sorts of blown glass sculptures and pieces.
Here Grandma reminds me about the building of the tabernacle, and how God gifted each person with amazing abilities so that it could be just as He wanted it to be.
We conversed some more on the subject, agreeing that those gifts are truly special.
That's God enabling us to serve Him. 
:)

We leave the museum and head the general direction of the light rail.
We pass by people with instruments sitting on corners.
They play with such skill and ability.
Even so, all you'll find in their jar is a just few dollars and maybe some cigarettes.
How tragic
They've been gifted and they are surely capable of doing great things, accomplishing much.
But they can't see that. All they can see is today's reward: a dollar and a cigarette.
And evidently, that's good enough for them.

That's the part of Seattle that I don't like.
The desperation and longing for something is so strong
But nobody knows what it is that they long for.

:(

And so Seattle I have seen.
And I like it, but I'm pretty glad that there's been a change of plans for my life.
I don't know if I'd like living here, even with so much good coffee around (There are so many good looking cafe's!). 

But yeah, God knew where He wanted me, and now He's taking me there! 
Thank goodness He didn't let my plans work out.

Bye!
Chelsea

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Chelsea. What a shame that so many are so lost. Praying that they find their way to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you finally got to see Seattle... Last year, we got lost after going to see the space needle... Interesting story (Well, not really. lol) We'll have to swap them sometime. :)

    I love how you pointed out the spiritual things, even in just walking around a city. You have a gift for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was reading it, I was thinking the same thing as Julianne - how I love that you and your Grandma were talking about God and it was woven into your every day life :)

    ReplyDelete